Sunday, February 2, 2014

Discussion--J.K. Rowling's Bombshell and My Feelings On Ron/Hermione

J.K. Rowling shocked fans in the past few days when she admitted she questioned the decision to make Ron and Hermione a romantic couple. She stated,

“I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment,” Rowling said. “That’s how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron.”

For those of you who know the books and movies and supported fandoms throughout the long-run of the series will understand how much of a gamechanger that sentiment could lead to. Ron and Hermione were Harry's two best friends and while Harry fell in love with Ron's younger sister, the logical decision was to have Ron and Hermione end up together. It ended everything relatively neatly with few loose ends. Personally I applaud that.

I'm a Ron/Hermione supporter. I've always been a Ron/Hermione supporter. I NEVER saw Harry/Hermione...EVER. I'm not sure why. From day one I knew they weren't meant to be together. Harry was the hero who needed a softer love, tough but softer. Hermione was too demanding and much too outspoken to pair well with the quiet hero. She needed someone to keep her off balance. Harry was much too predictable for all that. Ron, however, was perfect. He was just different enough to balance out her strict, perfectionist life by throwing a bit of crazy in there. At the same time Ron was loyal and family-oriented which would give Hermione a loyal, loving relationship. On the other side of the coin, Hermione challenged Ron AND kept him in line. To me it was effortless.


The movies make a better play at the relationship because visually it plays out that way. There was never a moment for me when I saw Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe together and thought, "Hmm...I could see that." To me the best romantic moment was the argument between Ron and Hermione at the Yule Ball. There was just this pure moment of confusion when she rebuffed Ron over not asking her. He was flabbergasted (I love that word) by her feelings. At the same time, it took them 2.5-3 books to seal the deal. To me it was always Ron and Hermione.


J.K. Rowling stated Ron and Hermione would probably need counseling in their marriage. I actually disagree. I would think Harry/Hermione would need the counseling. I tend to figure Ron and Hermione would have a passionate, challenging relationship that would satisfy them both. Ron's parents had a semi-volatile relationship over some things and I think it would have been a relatively happy relationship for Ron and Hermione.


I respect J.K. Rowling's opinion since she did create the magical world but I respectfully disagree. To me, the worst thing would have been forcing two characters together who did not work as so many books and television shows do. You will never convince me some of THOSE relationships are good ideas. To me it was another bit of trivia that did not change my feelings.

What do you guys think about this news and who did you support?


Who did you see together?

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. I saw Harry and Hermione as just friends, or even siblings. I know there are Harry/Hermione shippers out there who would disagree, but I really liked Ron and Hermione. I do think their relationship would be a bit like Arthur and Molly's, which is the kind of relationship that may be tense occasionally, but is full of love.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete